The church has been serving the public and spa guests since 1891. It were the regular spa guests who organised a collection which funded the construction costs. The building was designed by the famous architect Gideon Majunke (1855 – 1921) of Spišska Sobota – by then a renowned expert who had done a number of successful works in the Tatras.
The magazine “Tatra Zipser Bote” (Tatra spišský messenger) stated that a new church in Dolny Smokovec is a “masterpiece of wooden building construction”. The church is nevertheless a stylish example of the Tatra wooden architecture, which we definitely recommend visiting.
GPS: 49°07’56.9″N 20°14’22.9″E
View Dolný Smokovec, drevený rímskokatolícky kostol on a bigger map