In the second half of the 19th century Protestants decided to build a new, visually more representative temple.
In 1870 the delegation visited the main provincial architect Theophilus Hansen, who donated toit his own projects, originally designed for the Orient. The project was interesting because of its excellence – it wasn’t supposed to have a single style of building but the construction was to contain within its eclectic style of the Byzantine, Romanesque, Renaissance, Moorish and even various oriental styles. Everything was governed by exact symmetry.
The opening ceremony took place in 1872. In 1880 the church was already roofed. Due to lack of money, the construction was stopped for 11 years. The church was completed and consecrated in 1894.
In 1909 a mausoleum of Imrich (1657-1705), was built next to the church. Thököly was a native of Kezmarok and owner of the castle, a commander of anti-imperial uprisings of the Hungarian nobility and champion of religious freedom. Only thanks to the initial success of his uprising, theEmperor Leopold was forced to convene the Sopron congress and grant at least partial religious freedom. The uprising of the nobility was in the end defeated, Thököly took refuge in Turkey, where he died. In 1906 his remains were brought to Kežmarok.
Audio commentary:: https://www.kezmarok.sk