Mlynica, the Roman Catholic church

MLYNICA | Roman Catholic church

This little village is located about 8 km north of Poprad. Its origin is linked to the German colonization of Spiš. Many famous Tatra guides, as well as many experienced mountaineers, who knew the surrounding mountains like the back of their own hands came from Mlynica. Many of them are buried in the local cemetery near the valuable historical monument, originally a Romanesque church.

Thanks to its location and a large tower, the church still dominates the smallish village today. It was probably built in the 13th century in the Romanesque style as a one-nave building with a tower and a sanctuary. The first mention of the village and the local parish priest comes from as early as 1268. Between 1425 and 1434 the church was rebuilt in the Gothic style. At the time of its rebuilding it got two new altars that bear the signature of the famous Master Paul from the nearby Levoča. As the first village of the region in the first half of the 16th century it formally followed the Protestant faith. At that time the church itself also became a Protestant one. It was given back to the Catholics more than a hundred years later – in 1672. In 1932 one of aforementioned gothic altars was sold to Prague.


Mlynica, rímskokatolícky kostol z 13. stor.

GPS: 49°06’03.7″N 20°18’45.8″E

Zobraziť Mlynica, rímskokatolícky kostol z 13. stor. na väčšej mape

Back to trips